Vinyl Vault - Gloucestershire's premier Record Shop
We are Vinyl Vault. Gloucestershire's top 2nd hand vinyl emporium and one of the best in Southern England.
We stock all sorts of stuff although our main interest is Prog Rock and Folk. Yes we're that age. But we're quite partial to a bit of anything, within reason. So please don't ask us about buying your Brotherhood of Man 7" collection, it's not really our bag. We really prefer to buy and sell collectable records in great condition. We offer free advice and consultation so pop in or call us for a chat. We're only too pleased to help.
Use the navigation at the top to scroll to sections or pages and see the sort of stock and labels we like and would be keen to purchase, should you have some. You can also follow us on Twitter, which we update when something particularly nice comes in. Become a fan on Facebook too, we can then easily update you all with any offers we might consider doing.
And remember, If you are thinking of selling your record collection, call us first. We pay the best prices for the best stuff. So if it's Progressive Rock, Psych, Jazz, Folk, Reggae or all your Stones & Beatles memorabilia, Give us a call first.
Phil & Mike
So what do we stock?
We are a 2nd hand shop, we can only sell what we have and what people sell to us so stock changes on a daily basis. We are strict graders and rarely sell stuff that grades below 'Very Good'. We adhere to the 'Record Collector' magazine grading guides and really do strive to offer records in the best possible condition both visually and aurally.
As mentioned above, we specialise in progressive rock and folk however, nearly all genres are catered for here and we have a large amount of 50's 60's pop and rock. Beatles and Rolling Stones wise, we have lots of original pressings in stock, as well as The Who and Led Zeppelin. Even if we don't have something in, it's not usually long before one comes along so if there's anything in particular you want, get in touch and as soon as we get it in, we'll let you know.
Punk, Metal, Reggae, Jazz, Soul, Indie and some Dance, it's all here racked out or buried in cupboards we've yet to sort. To be honest, we're not sure what we've got. We don't do spreadsheets or databases. It's on sale in its category or we try and remember if we have one somewhere!
We carry a large choice of original 45's too. From Rock n' Roll classics, 60's EP's right through to 1990's & noughties Indie. It's here to browse.
We have posters, books, memorabilia and piles of old music monthly’s (a lot of Record Collector magazines). There's even a rack of old cassette tapes which are priced so stupidly cheap, they probably cost less now than they did in 1967!
And although we are called vinyl vault, we do have CDs. Only a few hundred though, we are 90% vinyl but the CDs and box sets start from about £5.
Record Collector's Grading System
- Mint: The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet, booklet or poster are in perfect condition.
- Excellent: The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening of sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and / or creasing.
- Very Good: The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects, is acceptable.
- Good: The record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration etc...
- Fair: The record is still just playable but has not been cared for properly and displays considerable surface noise: it may even jump. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing.
- Poor: The record will not play properly due to scratches, bad surface noise etc.. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing.
- Bad: The record is unplayable or might even be broken, and is only of use as a collection filler.
We buy quality records and memorabilia
To a shop like us, buying stock is our lifeline. We need you good good people to sell us your records BUT we must stress, we don't buy everything. Demis Roussos LP's and KTEL's 70's compilation albums unsurprisingly hold little interest to music connoisseurs. We like quality. Stuff like Pink Floyd, The Zombies, Andromeda, Caravan and anything that's part of the Canterbury scene. Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin is always welcome. Labels we like include Harvest, Vertigo, Morgan Bluetown, Neon, Deram, Elektra (for you Sassan,)Pink Island, Planet.
Posters Autographs and concert memorabilia is also wanted. If you have any doubts, give us a call. For those of you with big collections to sell, contact us and we'll come to you. We pay a good price for good items so if you are considering selling, try us.